A heartbroken mother has been seen sinking to the ground and sobbing after the death of her seven year old daughter. The little girl, who has been named locally as Katie, was found seriously injured in York yesterday afternoon. She was rushed to hospital but medics could do nothing to save her.

Police say they have now arrested a 15 year old girl, who is being held for questioning. People living nearby said they saw the victim’s mother arriving at the grassy alleyway, which is close to a playing field.

The young girl’s grandparents have also been to the scene of the incident, leaving a heartrending card, which says: “Night, night my darling Princess Katie. Love Nana and Grandad.”


A white tent has been erected at the spot where the girl was found, and forensic teams are continuing to gather evidence. Fifty year old Rob McCartney said he had seen the young girl lying on the ground before her mother arrived and began shouting for help, saying that her daughter had been killed.

When he went outside, he saw the mother running up the street screaming that she needed help. Although by the time he walked around to the side of his house to see what was going on, police officers have already arrived.

North Yorkshire police confirmed they have arrested a teenage girl in connection with the death. The girl was found close to a house in Alness Drive in the subarbs of York. It is a quiet cul de sac with deteached properties. The teenager is still in custody and police officers are in the area carrying out door to door inquiries. Meanwhile, specially trained officers are providing support to the young girl’s family.

Yesterday evening, Yorkshire Police issued a post on social media, saying officers had worked a “difficult and tragic shift,” adding that their thoughts were with the family of the victim as well as colleagues who desperately tried to save the little girl.

Published by Elizabeth

A journalist from the South West of England, Elizabeth specialises in writing about politics, health and technology.